Where to Get a Taste of Home when living alone


Many Singaporeans today live alone, either by choice or circumstance. There has been a stark rise over the past two decades in one-person resident households, as reported by Straits Times in an article last year. The joys and pains of living alone are the same, regardless of your reason for such an independent lifestyle.

Living alone in Singapore can be very expensive and it’s not just the rental costs that pile up along with the utility bills. Eating out alone is difficult when tze char stores and even restaurants are catered to groups more than individuals. Ordering food delivery is hard too when there is always a minimum order to hit to make delivery costs worth it. It’s also difficult to reap the benefits of discounts and one-for-one deals that come up every so often. So, the common cost-effective strategy when you live alone is to cook for yourself. But cooking for yourself after a long tiring day of work is daunting. Ingredients sold at the supermarket usually come cheaper in bulk too which limits what you can cook to what you can store for the next day.

The independence that comes with living alone can be freeing and provides the privacy you could never have in the past. Parents and siblings would come barging into your room and disturb that all important me-time that everyone needs. However, this changes when you fall sick. It’s no longer fun being alone when you are stuck in bed nursing a cold. There is nobody to bring you food or bring you to the doctors. There is nobody to take care of you. It’s all part and parcel of living alone and there are always pros and cons.

I found that a simple way to solve some of these problems is to order Tingkat delivery services in Singapore with no msg. Tingkat caterers deliver a fantastic meal that usually consists of 3 dishes and a soup right to your doorstep. It heartwarming to come back to a homemade meal after a tiring day of work. For instance, I grew up drinking soup every night because my parents are Cantonese and its part of our tradition. It has shaped my taste buds to what it is today and when I think back to when I was making my own dinner, I couldn’t make my own a huge pot of soup because I was eating alone. When I did, it meant that I would be drinking the same soup for the next few days. With Le Xin, the cheapest Tingkat in Singapore, I get a different homemade soup every night. This is especially true with Le Xin Catering that promises no repeat dishes in a month. I found this best catering tingkat menu to be especially useful when I find myself sick and too tired to cook or go out to dabao food.

In short, living alone can be a joy and a pain at the same time and what has been outlined are just some of the things you experience when you take on this lifestyle. Nobody can properly prepare you for this and there are many things that you will need to ‘figure out yourself’. It’s tough but there is always a solution.

Comments